Saturday, March 17, 2012

Trans Alpine Scooter Safari 26 May 2012

Good morning,

I have just received this email from Dayle Mackenzie, Ngarita's dad, and I thought it might interest more than just me.

Hi everyone.

Please support me as I participate in the 2012 Tranz Alpine Scooter Safari, an endurance ride 250 gruelling kilometres over the Southern Alps to Hokitika to raise funds for the New Zealand Cancer Society.

We set off on Saturday May 26th, starting just as day breaks and chasing the sun westwards to watch it set in the Tasman Sea on arrival in Hokitika.

The Cancer Society is not funded by the Government, and relies solely on the goodwill and generosity of New Zealanders like us.

This is an especially personal journey for the intrepid riders of Team Molestrangler, as in the last two years we have lost and uncle, an aunty and two good friends to cancer. Our ride, and the funds raised by it, will be a small tribute to the bravery they showed in the face of this insidious disease.

We wanted to make a true adventure of the event, so the 'Flying Molestrangler' is now under construction and will be tested, roadworthy and ready on the start line on the 26th of May. I'll be riding most of the journey, but my wife Ani has kindly volunteered to ride up some of the steeper bits (Porters Pass etc) to give the poor old moped a chance, as she is a bit (over 40kg's!!!) lighter than me.

It should look very much like this;


So this is a great cause and I am doing my part. Any financial support you are able to offer will be greatly appreciated.

To make a donation, please visit the hyperlink and select the "Make a donation" button. It's simple, fast and totally secure. If you live in New Zealand your donation is tax deductible and a receipt will be issued. My Scooter Safari fund raising page can be found at;

http://www.fundraiseonline.co.nz/teammolestrangler

My goal is to raise $1000. Any contribution, no matter how small. would be very welcome.

Thank you for your support

Dayle.

In 2010 the 250 riders on the safari raised over $100,000.

Please come out and show your support on the day, the scheduled stops and anticipated arrival times can be found at: www.scootersafari.co.nz

Thank you!

Dayle MacKenzie

Will you look at that seat! He has informed me that his will at least be leather, but still...he won't be able to walk for a month afterwards!! :-)

Mr Grant

Subsequent to this post...

Hi all.

Just a quick note to thank those of you who have contacted me with messages of support and also those who have sponsored me thus far. I'm already $190 towards my $1000 goal!

The attachments above are a few pics taken today to give you an idea of what it is I intend to ride to the Coast.

Essentially, it's a 'GT Dyna Cruiser' bicycle powered by a 'Cycle Pro' engine kit. I've added retro Springer forks and a sprung leather saddle to make it look a bit like one of the Harley Davidson, Indian or Flying Merkel Board track racer of nearly a century ago. I've also added modern brakes with a mind on some of the steep descents we will be making. The fuel tank and exhaust are giving us a few issues, but they should be sorted soon enough.






Some people have asked me; It's a scooter safari, why not just buy a scooter. It's a fair question, but going out and buying a mass produced scooter and putting over to the Coast doesn't quite hold the same appeal or challenge as starting from scratch and doing it yourself. I like the added dimension of riding a glorified bike with only one gear over the Alps. It also adds a sense of humour to the ride. (but I suspect the joke may be on me at some stage)

Others have asked where I got the name 'Flying Molestrangler' from. It comes from a very un-PC fictional character by the name of Horace Molestrangler, who used to appear in a monthly motorcycle magazine. Horace was a hard-living, womanising, motorcycle-racing maniac, in much the same vein as Rik Mayals, Captain Flashard character from the Black Adder TV series. In the spirit of not taking myself or the ride too seriously, I thought the name was a good fit.

So once again, thanks for your support and please pass this message on to anyone you think may wish to support the Cancer Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment